Illuminations Lighting Design is proud to announce its membership with the prestigious trade organization National Association of Women in Construction or NAWIC.
The National Association of Women in Construction or NAWIC originally began as Women in Construction of Fort Worth, Texas. It was founded in 1953 by 16 women working in the construction industry. Knowing that women represented only a small fraction of the construction industry, the founders organized NAWIC to create a support network. Women in Construction of Fort Worth was so successful that it gained its national charter in 1955 and became the National Association of Women in Construction. NAWIC’s core purpose is to enhance the success of women in the construction industry.
NAWIC’s objectives are:
• To unite for the mutual benefit of the women who are actively engaged in the various phases of the construction industry.
• To promote cooperation, fellowship and a better understanding among members of the Association.
• To promote education and contribute to the betterment of the construction industry.
• To encourage women to pursue and establish careers in the construction industry.
• To provide members an awareness of the legislative process and legislation as it relates to the construction industry.
Since its founding, National Association of Women in Construction, an international non-profit organization, has grown to a membership of 5,500 women with more than 179 chapters. In its 51 years of service to its members, NAWIC has advanced the causes of all women in construction whose careers range from business ownership to the skilled trades. With almost 900,000 women working in construction today, the industry is becoming more accepting of their non-traditional roles.
For more information about National Association of Women in Construction and its benefits, please visit www.nawic.org website or contact Illuminations Lighting Design at 713.863.1133.