Custom Lighting Design
What is Custom Lighting Design
Environment dictates everything. Mood, Inspiration, and Concentration. The lighting of the room can inspire, motivate, or evoke deep feelings or emotions. Understanding how focal points and light fixtures can help create the ambiance for your area.
Kinds of Lighting Design
There are several types of lightings you can create in your room. Lighting works best when it is added using layers.
The main types of lighting for each situation are:
● Ambient : Ambient lighting that fills the whole room allowing you to navigate and walk around safely. These include recessed lighting, track lighting or wall-mounted lighting.
● Accent : Accent lighting is used to focus on a particular point, such as furniture or wall arts. These are common, and dimmers are used to provide mood lighting.
● General : A combination of all sources, focusing mainly on using overhead lighting.
● Directional: Directional lighting helps you complete a task. These include desk lamps and pendant lights that hang over your kitchen.
More light isn’t better. A good custom lighting design matches the activity being performed at a specific location. Understanding the location, amount, and styles of fixtures to place will help create your whole lighting scheme.
These are a matter of preferences but here is a standard guide for each room.
● Bedroom – Overlight head sources and table lamps on nightstands for late-night reading.
● Bathroom – Recessed lighting and task lights around your bathroom mirror for facial needs.
● Dining Room – The main light should brighten up the entire room. A chandelier or a large pendant light that’s centered over the dining table is recommended. If their dark corners, use floor or table lamps to brighten up the shadows.
● Entryway – These can be mixed towards your taste. A pendant light or chandelier overhead can brighten most of the hallway. If there are any shadows, use a table or floor lamps to cover the dark corners.
● Kitchen – Using recessed lighting can light up the whole kitchen while using directional task lighting for focal areas such as kitchen island and dining table.
● Living room – Recessed lighting or overhead fixture for your main seating area is recommended. Using floor or table lamps for large furniture pieces and to cover shadowy corners
For landscapes and outside lighting, understand there will be less light in specific area. First, understand the purpose of the lighting of the backyard. Soft Romantic, Fun and Exciting, or Security Reasons.
Create a sketch of your backyard including existing lighting, trees, shrubs, decoration, and buildings. Similar to indoor rooms, layering plays a large part in the ambiance of the outdoor
area. As electrical cables will need to be installed under the soil and holes dug for the lighting fixtures, understand the costs and effort needed to create your ideal landscape.
How you design your lighting can change your environment. Don’t leave the lighting of your home to chance. Contact Illuminations Lighting Design to design
and implement a functional, aesthetically pleasing, mood-enhancing lighting design that fits your needs.
Houston’s Illuminations Lighting Design is Texas’s premier lighting design company. Our designers have the experience to create your ultimate indoor or outdoor space.
We serve the Greater Houston area as well as Bellaire, Missouri City, Webster, Bayton, Pasadena, and all the surrounding areas.
Call us at 713-863-1133 to schedule an appointment with one of our designers. We would love to be your partner in creating the ultimate lighting design for your home.