Why is Lighting So Important for Your Houston Home?
Houston homeowners rarely think about the importance of lighting for their home. Many think of it as merely a way to offer light in a room. But, lighting is one of the most important aspects to consider in your home’s functionality and design.
Above all, it provides safety and security for your home. Without lighting, you wouldn’t be able to see as you go about your daily functions.
But, let’s face it. Houstonians place style and design in a pretty high category. That’s because a thoughtfully-designed home is where lighting is considered one of the most important qualities of the home.
The atmosphere throughout your home gives it the ultimate factor in the ambiance it creates. Lighting creates drama and pulls it all together. It’s the thing that brings life to your home. Best of all, it won’t break the budget to come up with a lighting plan that’ll beautify your home.
Try these tips to create a beautifully lit home the way a professional lighting designer would approach it.
- Don’t focus on fixtures. Sure, that 100-light chandelier might be stunningly gorgeous, but focusing on a light fixture isn’t optimal. You want to concentrate on what it is you want to illuminate in the room. What’s your favorite highlight in the room? Is it an art collection? Is it glass objects in a decorative shelf? How does light land on the object you want to bring focus to? What does it do to that part of the room? Light fixtures are just part of the equation. You’ll see the difference when you’ve created magic by adding the right light in the right place.
- Avoid lighting fatigue. So, what’s lighting fatigue? It’s when there’s a constant level of brightness throughout the room. There are no shadows. Just a boring continuity that doesn’t focus on anything. It doesn’t create a mood. It’s boring and mundane and kind of zaps the energy right out of the room. On the other hand, when you layer the lighting in a room, it creates elements in the room and sets a mood. First, you want soft ambient light which covers the entire room. Then you want indirect light that gives a room its warm, cozy feeling. Then complement it all with decorative light sources. Good lighting design will increase your comfort level and transform a room. Having different brightness levels in different parts of the room creates the ultimate lighting design.
- Highlight the best features in your home. Incorporate lighting in your rooms rather than merely have light for the sake of having light. Do you have a fireplace, French doors, or a beamed ceiling? Add accent lights to draw attention to add depth and dimension to those areas. Do it sparingly to draw attention to the most extraordinary features of your home.
- Don’t forget to light the landscape of your home. Your home’s landscape is an extension of your home. Lighting design on your property has the potential to boost your home’s architectural framework. It’s also a must to enhance the security of your home. When considering landscape lighting, it should fill three purposes – Illumination to add to safety to the landscape; Function, such as lighting steps, a deck, or a pathway; and Aesthetic, to make certain areas more alluring, such as a garden or a fountain.
- Hire a lighting design expert. We don’t all have designer skills like Nate Berkus does and that’s okay. A lighting designer offers blended skills that involve the arts, illumination design, and science. A lighting design specialist can offer you a customized lighting plan that blends with your own needs and style. Even better is hiring a lighting design company that has both in-house designers and electricians that’ll cover all the bases.
Before completing the design of your new home or remodeling plans, contact Illuminations Lighting Design. We understand all aspects of amazing lighting design and can work with you to create a lighting plan that illuminates your home and casts it in its best light.
Our Houston lighting designer would love to meet with you and learn more about what you want. Our company serves Houston and many of the surrounding areas, including Bellaire, Waller, Baytown, Missouri City, Katy, Deer Park, Pasadena, Stafford, Webster, and more.
Call us at 1-800-863-1184 or 713-863-1133. Let’s work together to create the ultimate lighting design your home was meant to have.